Wrinkles – Know The Facts Related To Cosmetic Procedures!
By Dr. Vikas Verma, Cosmetic/Plastic Surgery
Wrinkles are one of the most predictable signs of aging. But that doesn’t mean you have to let them hinder your beauty.
Aging and Wrinkles:
With age, skin cells divide more slowly, and the skin’s inner layer, called the dermis, begins to thin. That starts to undo skin’s stretchiness and structure.
Aging skin also starts to lose its ability to hold on to moisture, makes less oil, and is slower to heal. That all contributes to the wrinkling process.
Facial Muscle Contractions:
Lines between your eyebrows (frown lines) and lines jutting from the corner of your eyes (crow’s feet) are thought to result from facial muscle contractions. Smiling, frowning, squinting and other habitual facial expressions make these wrinkles more prominent.
Sun Damage and Wrinkles:
Getting too much sun damages your skin. That leads to wrinkles. To help prevent them, stay out of the sun between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., and make it a habit to wear a broad-spectrum sunscreen with a SPF 30 every day, even in the winter and when it’s cloudy.
Treatment Options Available For Wrinkles-
Here are some treatments and cosmetic procedures you can avail for flawless skin:
- Botox:Botox, or botulinum toxin, is injected to paralyze the muscles that are responsible for the appearance of ‘frown lines’ on your forehead, fine lines around your eyes and other wrinkles. Botox injections last for several months, and they need to be repeated for best results.
- Fillers:Collagen, calcium hydroxylapatite, lactic acid and hyaluronic acid are some common fillers which are injected under the skin to flatten folds and wrinkles. The effects of fillers can last for nine months or longer.
- Ablative Lasers:Laser resurfacing is a procedure that makes use of ablative lasers like CO2 (carbon dioxide) and erbium. Lasers can remove wrinkles by lifting off the outer layer of your skin and improving collagen rigidity.
- Undermining Techniques:In these types of procedures, the skin’s topmost layer is detached from the connective tissue that lies underneath it. This effectively reduces deep lines; and when used with fillers, can prevent the reformation of lines.
- Hydration and Skin Care:Fine wrinkles can also be removed by hydrating the skin, since hydration reduces the crevices and cracks in the skin. The best way to hydrate skin is by using creams that contain either antioxidants, vitamin A acid or alpha-hydroxy acids.