Maintain Healthy Eyesight With Healthy Food!
By Dr. Piyush Kapur,Ophthalmology
Are you eating the foods that are best for your eyes? There’s more to eye nutrition than just carrots. Learn which foods boost your eye health and help protect against sight-threatening diseases.
- Go Green and Eat Spinach- Dark green vegetables help in dealing with eyesight problems. Spinach, kale, turnips, or collard greens gift you with good vision. Both children and adults should eat more green vegetables in their regular diet. Spinach has a high amount of vitamin A, zeaxanthin and lutein; these nutrients prove to be beneficial for one’s eyes.
- Add Peppers to your Food- Grilled, stir fried, steamed or baked, peppers are very good for the health of your eyes. You can use peppers in your meals. They are rich in vitamin A and vitamin C, vitamin B6, beta- carotene, and lycopene. Vitamins are necessary; vitamin A and C are particularly essential as they successfully counter the threat of cataracts.
- If you relish eating blackcurrants, your eyes are doing good- There are many who absolutely hate the taste of blackcurrants whereas some others find them delectable. Blackcurrants contain Anthocyanins and fatty acids that keep your eye problems in check.
- Mums are right, carrots are indeed helpful- If you’ve always shrugged at the idea of having carrots in your salad or as a part of your evening snack, you should probably start mending your ways. Macular degeneration caused due to pigment density in the macula can be prevented or treated by eating carrots frequently. Carrots are effective in protecting your eye cells and can keep your eyes clean.
- Salmon is a Healthy Delicacy- Tasty and healthy is not actually a myth. Salmon contains omega 3 fatty acids that are great for your overall health. Eating salmon can stall age-related eye disorders. You can eat the fish as part of the main course or in your soup. It also prevents a person from potential blindness.